Saturday, February 7, 2015

Update on life/ Sorry I haven't posted in a while...

Hello everyone!

This semester of college is proving to be way busier than the last. I've barely had any free time since school started up, which explains the lack of posting. My schedule this semester is difficult but I'm enjoying it. I am currently in my first calculus class ever, and I actually really like it. My professor goes really fast, but he explains it all really well. Which is all you can really ask for in a math professor. Unfortunately I will only get to have him for half the semester because the professor we were originally supposed to have is on sick leave for seven weeks but is coming back mid semester. The logistics of it are kind of a mess because the math professor I have right now literally got on a plane the night before classes started and just showed up to the first lecture. haha

As for the rest of my classes, Chinese just keeps getting harder and harder. But my laoshi is really pushing our speaking levels this semester, so the progress I'm making is really exciting. GPS had our first guest lecturer, Catharine Mackinnon, come last week. It was a true honor to hear her speak, as she is one of the worlds most famous feminists. (I'll be honest, I may have freaked out just a little).

This weekend my friends and I went to an expat market called jiashan market and there was all kinds of foods represented by almost every country you could think of. There a lot of little international children running around and the food was absolutely delicious! It was also really fun to ask all the vendors why they are living in Shanghai. A lot of them just came to Shanghai on vacation and fell in love. Unfortunately the market is closing up until April, but now that we know about it, we will definitely be returning!

Today I reached the 9 mile mark in my marathon training. I am beginning to loathe the treadmill, but I have friends taking shifts on who gets to talk to me as I run. The people who work at the gym know me too well now, and they've basically marked off a treadmill for me because I'm down there so often.
Spring festival is approaching, and Meichen and I are getting so excited to go to Inner Mongolia. The other day her mom was Skyping us, and she said that I could call her 妈妈 which means mother in Chinese. I was so honored.

I will try to update this thing more often. I leave in about a week for Inner Mongolia and I unfortunately won't have google access there. I plan on journalling and then spamming the blog with day to day updates when I get back.

Love from Shanghai,
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment