Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Language Breakthrough

I just wanted to make a quick post about my recent improvements with the Chinese language. The other day I was taking the elevator from our dining commons (B1)to the library (4th floor).As I was getting in the elevator serveral of the Chinese students got in and pressed floor 1. I thought it was strange that they were using the elevator for just one floor when the stairs seemed more convenient, but it's China, so I didn't judge. As I was in the elevator, the Chinese students were talking to each other in Chinese. I wasn't really paying attention until one of the girls asked, in Chinese, why the students were riding the elevator only one floor. I turned around and said "I just understood what you said!" It was probably the highlight of my day yesterday. 
My friends and I have been talking about how we try to eavesdrop on Chinese conversations all the time just to see if we can understand. I think the Chinese students are really impressed with our willingness to try and learn. 
MeiChen is so proud of me. The other day she narrated everything she did that day in Chinese and I had to translate what she did into English so I could practice my listening comprehension. It's become such a fun challenge speaking and listening to the language now that I've been here a few months. Even MeiChen sees improvements with her English. I can here her accent changing and her vocabulary includes more slang. I love giving her new phrases to try like: "it is what it is". Then she gives me one to try in Chinese and we write them on sticky notes and cover our walls. 
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do without her when I return to the states. I feel like she could be the fifth Stover. I've already gotten her to sing Taylor Swift in the room with me, so she is well on her way! 
Love from Shanghai,
Maddie 

No comments:

Post a Comment