Sunday, August 17, 2014

Day 1

Today was another crazy day at orientation! Unfortunately jetlag got the best of me and I was up at 1:30am without any hope of falling back asleep. When my roommate finally got up around 7am, we decided to go get our phones situated. I opted to buy a new phone just for China. The phone plans here are unbelievably cheap. My phone was 66 USD and the data plan was $20 and Mei Chen, my roommate, informed me that this data would last me several months without having to pay again.

After we went to China Moble we trudged through the pouring rain to our academic building. It was the first time I was able to go inside, and it was amazing! A particular favorite spot of mine is on the third floor. It is a large alcove in the shape of the yinyang sign. There are tons of great study spaces and comfortable chairs. I could spend a whole day there.

Our day was mostly spent sitting through congratulatory speeches and building tours. I was able to stop by the school store to pick up a hat! The store has expanded since last year and there are many clothing options. I can even send postcards that have NYUSH on them!

Tomorrow we will be taking some mock courses to learn about culture in China. There are also opportunites to go to dance class or yoga.

Looking around the building today I wondered if it was too soon to profess my love for the school. I am having such an amazing time adjusting to the culture and embracing everyone's unique differences. You can't find a college like this anywhere else in the world, and to be apart of something as extraordinary as a global community of lifelong learners and friends is something I never want to take for granted.

Love from Shanghai,

Maddie

2 comments:

  1. Send a post card to your favorite sister in NC! So happy you are bonding with Mei Chen and adjusting to your new life !! Love you, my Nad <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then be sure to send a postcard to your favorite baby-sitter of all time and her 3 kids :)

    ReplyDelete