Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Highs and Lows of Shanghai

Today was a very successful day. All week I have judged my days by the many high and low points I go through. I didn't come to this school because it was easy to adjust, I came for the challenge. And I am getting just what I asked for. So far, I have managed to open my own bank account (high point), get lost (low), find a working ATM (high point), forget my umbrella in the pouring rain (very low point), and make amazing friends (high point). But all of these experiences, good and bad have made me stronger all ready and I am greatful for them. To me, it's all a part of being a person, not just a human, but a thoughtful, cautious, independent, confident person.

In terms of finding friends, I find it easier to connect to the international students; which is to say that we all are suffering from major jet lag, we know very little chinese and we are all confused and excited by this new culture. I get along very well with my roommate, and if it weren't for her I would be so lost mentally, emotionally, and probably physically. She is so kind and patient with my Chinese and I can really appreciate that. When we are really stuck and can't communicate she has to spell words outloud as I try to figure out what she is spelling. Most people would get annoyed with this after a while, but I just think of it as a challenging game.

Tomorrow I have to go get a health exam by the government to apply for residency. It seems highly involved and simply put, a likely bonding experience for the international students. It should be interesting.

Love from Shanghai,

Maddie

1 comment:

  1. I am blown away by your courage. I spent my first year out of high school abroad as well, in an unfamiliar disorienting place, so I empathize with the roller coaster feeling.

    Post pictures! (Unless the Chinese govt frowns upon sort of thing

    ReplyDelete