Thursday, November 27, 2014

Seoul Day 3

Happy Black Friday?

Today was a very adventurous day! I went to the DMZ (demilitarized zone) where the boarder between North and South Korea is. I was able to learn so much about the history behind both North and South Korea as well as explore one of the tunnels that North Korea dug to infiltrate the South. When I got on the bus, they take down your name and passport number and a solider boards the bus to check and make sure none of are spies... Unfortunately it was a very rainy day here and it was hard to observe, but on a clear day you can see into North Korea and see their flag waving (fun fact --its the highest flag in the world). When you go down the tunnel there is evidence of dynamite and you have to wear a hard helmet. It's definitely not a place for the claustrophobic.... Unfortunately there will be no pictures of this part of the trip because there was a strict no photo policy, and if there was any time I was going to follow that rule, it would be here.

After DMZ I went to a Ginseng museum where I learned all about the herb and the way it grows and what it can be used for. There is law, because it takes six years to produce the flower, that you can't buy too much to bring out of the country, but it has many health benefits, and they put it into cosmetics and candies as well as powders and teas. It tastes really bitter (they let me try a cup) but if you add honey it's not so bad.

Tomorrow I am going to Bukchon Village and a War Memorial of Korea. It should be a really fun day.

Love
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment